Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #1

Void Warrenty

Hi everyone,

I bought a Direct Bikes scooter in September last year, and it has started to develop problems. The spark plugs and the cable are very warn and there are several other problems eg. balance off, stalling, not starting. I have emailed them regarding the warranty (it is advertised as a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty) and they have said that it is invalid as the servicing has not been carried out at required intervals. This is the email I received from them:

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

As you have not serviced your bike at the required intervals your warranty is invalid.

Kind regards,

Direct Bikes
http://www.scooter.co.uk

THE UK'S NO.1 SELLING 50CC SCOOTER CONFIRMED BY THE DVLA *

This email and any files included with it may contain proprietary and/or
 confidential information that is privileged and confidential and is for
 the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any disclosure, copying,
 distribution, posting, or use of the information contained in or attached
 to this email is prohibited unless permitted by the sender. If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via
 return e-mail, telephone, or fax and destroy this original transmission
 and its included files without reading or saving it in any
 manner.Registered Address: Direct Bikes Limited, 5 Elstree Gate, Elstree
 Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire WD6 1JD. Registered in England & Wales. Registration Number: 06746092:

* Based on DVLA figures 02/2014

Alexander

Jun 26 18:05

Hi,

If the bike is serviced now will it be covered under the warranty?

Thank you,

Alex

--- Original Message ---

DIRECT BIK
DIRECT BIKES (Direct Bikes)

Jun 26 16:01

Thank you for your email.

You have confirmed that the scooter has travelled 1475km with out any service carried out. The scooter is substantially overdue two services.

For the continued use and safety of your scooter it is essential that your scooter is serviced which ever is sooner at 300kms/3 months - 1000km/6 months 3000kms/12 months and every 3000kms / 6 months subsequently by an approved service centre.

This is clearly stated within the terms and conditions of sale. By way of example:

3.3. The Buyer acknowledges that the Goods are provided with the requirement to attach the wing mirrors, battery and any free accessories by the Buyer and all nuts and bolts need to be checked before road use. The Buyer acknowledges that the goods are not to be driven over 20mph for the first 100 miles of use. The Buyer acknowledges that the goods are supplied for public highway road use. The Buyer acknowledges that the Goods need to be registered with the DVLA and that the DVLA may wish to inspect and request the Goods to be tested and that the Seller does not cover any associated costs. The Buyer acknowledges that for continued use and safety the Goods need to be regularly serviced at the service periods are due at either distance travelled or time period of ownership, which ever is sooner, (300km / 3 months of ownership for first service, 1000km / 6 months for second service, 3000km / 12 months for third service and every 3000kms / 6 months of ownership subsequently) & maintained by an approved service centre. In order to maintain high quality workmanship and sound mechanical practices you should only seek standard repairs and standard servicing in relation to the Goods from an Approved Service Centre with approved parts.

At the regular service intervals the scooters components are inspected, cleaned, adjusted, lubricated, and/or changed.

Under the circumstances we are unable to process a claim.

If you require parts, please see the link below:

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonl...ct%20Bikes.php

Please arrange your overdue service with your local approved service centre.

Kind regards,

Direct Bikes
http://www.scooter.co.uk
I am wondering, as I haven't signed anything to say I agree to those terms (all I did was order it online, pay, and it arrived a week later without any other contact with them) so can I still claim on the warranty? or threaten to go to some sort of trading standards as the scooter should not have this many problems after so little time.

Please advise me the best course of action as I'm not sure if I can afford all the repairs and replacements required.

Thank you,

Alex

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2014, 01:05 PM   #2

I don't about UK laws, but I do know that the online chinese scooter site I've been on have a statement that the warranty will be voided if PDI and service is not done by a qualified service shop (Or something like that).
Most of us just suck it up and learn by doing it ourselves.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=66...tion=USA&add=1

Old 06-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #3

My understadnding with China scoots is that the warranty is useless. LIke gimpdog said they'll put in language that makes it easy for them to deny a claim. If you own one you're going to have to become somewhat mechanical so you can keep it running, unless there's an actual dealer in your neighborhood that will work on it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads