Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #1

broken motor mount

just wanted to share a story that happened within my first week of buying my new tao tao 50cc it might have happened 50%my fault but also noticed that it could have been the material used or the actual casting of the motor mount.so 1 day after riding home from work about 5 miles when I put my scoot up on the center stand I noticed it leaning a little bit to the right further inspection showed that the right side of the lower part of the engine mount was sheared off stunned heartbroken I had to figure out what I was gunna do and also hope to find the missing pieces. luckily I did fine the broken piece in the parking lot at work where the bike was stored that dayso I decided instead of dealing with warranty I was going to weld it keep in mind my uncle is a master welder and as long as that peace was aluminum and not pot metal I figured that I'd be able to get it repaired anyways short story long I drop the motor out the bottom welded the broken piece back on then realize that I was missing another piece the bracket fabricated the missing segment using a piece of non tempered aluminumand assemble her back together in about 2&a half hours all together the scooter runs well everything's in line and stronger than it was factory but wanted to share this information because it might have happened to somebody else or could happen to somebody in the future I noticed that the inside broken piece had some black specs so might have been debris or dust in the mount during casting but also after looking at it I noticed that the center stand seems the rest on the under part of that bracket thinking back how i was mounting and dismounting I've come to the hypothesis that mounting on the center stand while sitting on the bike or dismounting while sitting on the bike is too much stress cause the weight of the bike and me the rider to cause damage to that bracket due to the close proximity where they touch I also notice on the dvd that the recommend carefully raise the bike on the center stand with out sitting on it or doing it forcefully so keep that info in mind for future practices oh and ps I did not go looks with the weld mainly strength and even filled the hollow spaces on the outside of bracket for superior strength
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140206_174659.jpg (90.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20140208_162545.jpg (93.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20140209_173639.jpg (92.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20140208_155448.jpg (93.0 KB, 9 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

Well done.