View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 12:39 AM   #7

I apologise for resurrecting this thread, I'm new to the forums and i have by the sounds of it almost the exact same issue as this. The original post didn't seem resolved/updated so was unsure whether to post new or tag onto this one.

I have a May 2008 MC-13-150 scooter. I bought it locally from a bloke who said he ran it new in 2008, then was almost ran over by a truck and his wife would not let him ride it. It has sat, 582 miles on the clock, since 2008, in his heated/cooled/insulated garage. Recently his wife told him she wanted it out of the garage. He tried to get it started/running, but he could only get the starter to turn over, not catch. Everything on it looks new, except for a very fine film of dust after sitting for years.

I got it home on the back of my truck. The battery (AGM) was only showing 6v on my multimeter. Turning the ignition key to "ON" brought nothing. I took the battery out, removed the inspection cap, all the cells were dry and white/furry from sulfation. I carefully poured distilled water into each cell to get it wet, left it over night, then put it on a trickle 1amp charge.

Meanwhile i took a 12 motorcycle battery from my 500cc Suzuki, connected it up, turned ignition key to "ON", again nothing, no lights, no horn, nothing. Checked the inline fuse, it is ok, voltage is getting from the battery to the starter relay/solenoid. So i bridged the solenoid with an insulated screwdriver, starter turns over. (yay)

I appear to have resurrected the original battery as it is now holding a healthy 13v and...

I drained the gas, put fresh gas in, changed the engine oil and final gear oil. kickstarted it 5 times to prime, bridged the starter relay, it starts and runs. Lights came on, but not the turn signals, horn, or hazard lights. The high/low beam switch works fine. The dash is illuminated, but the fuel gauge and ammeter do nothing . Neither do the brake lights come on, but the rear running light is on.

I have removed the front plastics but can see nothing obviously disconnected except for one two prong connector which has nothing to connect to.

This scooter has the radio/cassette player installed (it doesn't work either) and a Yun Ba alarm, with both keyfobs with buttons that indicate "lock" "unlock" "start"(it's a lightning symbol (remote start?)) and "alarm" (bell). Both keyfob remotes give a good red led illumination when i press any of the butttons, but they do nothing to the bike.

The kill engine switch works after i start the bike by bridging the starter relay/solenoid. I took both mirror/turn signals off and tested them by applying 12v and they work fine .

I should also mention i have now unplugged the cassette player and alarm thing. It still runs the same.

I am thinking that perhaps both the brake switches are shot, but that wouldn't explain the ammeter (which i would like to work), fuel gauge (which might be handy but isn't mission critical), radio( not too bother about really but might be neat), and the alarm thing (which also might be neat but not critical)

Before i start removing the body plastics, is there something else i am missing or should check?

Having typed this monolithic post i realise i can likely apply voltage to the voltmeter and fuel gauge to test them, and also connect the brake light switch wires to see if that allows the starter to function, and the horn, but i'm asking if anyone else has something i should be checking.

Thankyou in advance for the help and advice, i'm excited to be getting 100+mpg over my 60mpg Suzuki 500cc...^^