View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #6

I thought for sure that two of the threaded studs holding the cylinder wall and cylinder head down were stripped. Went around crisscross with the torque wrench and they both felt like they were moving a little bit, even after 8 or 9 passes around after the other two had stopped moving.
I was about ready to call it quits, but decided to go back and check to make sure that the nut itself wasn't stripped. Pulled one of the troubled nuts off, looked inside, no visible thread damage. No damage on the stud, either. Put it back on, and for some reason I decided to repeatedly torque down one nut. I thought, "That's odd, it almost feels like its slipping back". I took out the sharpie, put a line on the nut, the crush washer, and the cylinder head, shone the flashlight on it, torqued it again, and confirmed that yes, the nut and crushwasher were in fact bouncing back to their original position!
I then removed all four nuts and installed a stainless steel washer between the nut and crush washers. This time, everything torqued down nice and tight.
It's quite possible that this was the source of the original leak. The original gasket between the cylinder and cylinder head didn't look in terrible shape. Still re-assembling the bike. Still pissed off that the manufacturer could allow something like this to leave the factory.