View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

When it rains, it pours.

Last Sunday, took the YY250T out on a trip, about 10 miles in, I see the temp gauge pegged at "H". It's never been above 1/2 before, no matter how many miles I put on it on the highway. I slow down, and keep seeing the gauge go from 2/3 -> H and back again... not instantly (like a wiring problem would do). I pull off, open the gas cover, and see some coolant by the filltank cap. I drive the bike home, and it makes it. I ordered a new thermostat and replacement front brake rotor.

Yesterday, on the way home from work, my car's transmission decided that it didn't want to shift out of neutral. I ended up getting home 2 hours late, with the car at a shop for the night. I still haven't heard back from the shop with the damages, the mechanic said that it was probably the clutch master cylinder (its a standard transmission and has a hydraulic clutch).

I took the day off from work today, to strip apart the YY250T and replace the thermostat. I knew I was in trouble when I removed the old one and it was opening at around 173F (measured using a type K thermocouple and a thermometer in a pot of water), but I installed the new one any ways. I've heated and cooled it 3 times already, and I'm now pretty sure I have a head gasket leak, since I'm still getting bubbles when the engine warms up, and the coolant line leaving the thermostat is only 165F or so (courtesy of an IR thermometer).

Fortunately, I had already purchased a top end rebuild kit with gaskets. Going to end up spending the rest of the weekend doing this one.

Login or Register to Remove Ads