View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozo View Post
The battery minder recommended by Irish is a brilliant solution. A solar tender would suit your plan well providing power for the fan as well as keeping the battery charged. Cheap too. Park in the sun.

I have a 12v portable battery jumper which is quite small but very powerful. It could be hooked up as you suggest or simply used to jump start the scooter if that is your only complaint.

Does the scooter keep running after the battery is dead? If so you could just add some terminals to attach the alligator clamps of the jump device. That would also indicate that there is nothing wrong with your charging system. Sorry, I know you didn't want to here it.
A solar charger sounds like a great idea. I'll probably save up and get one while I try to pinpoint what the charging problem is. I went ahead and installed the car battery. Here's where I'm wondering if I'll have a problem: I don't know how many amps is needed to turn the starter over, and I don't know if the 800 cca of the car battery can damage anything when cranking it. To answer your question, when the battery dies, the scooter cuts off. I've tested the stator and the regulator rectifier, and they both seem to be working as they should when tested separately. All of the testing techniques I learned from Youtube/researching forums but I want to start from the beginning testing everything and get you guys input, but I'm not quite ready to start taking it apart again just yet because I love riding it, even if it's just for a hour or so, that's why I was gonna save it for another thread when I'm prepared to not be able to ride it for a few days.