View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 03:14 AM   #35

On another forum we have been having a discussion about putting a car tire on the rear of the Honda Silverwing scooter.
The following is about what I did...................

[[[[ Part of a message from a previous post of mine at that site ]]]]
Subject: Re: Darkside and ABS Yesterday at 8:19 pm bandito2 wrote:

Ended up going out and buying back a 2006 Reflex that I restored and sold to a friend instead of putting
the 175/70R13 car tire on and testing..... Looks like another chance for that on Monday.

[[[[ I did the follow-up in this posting]]]]
So today (Monday Nov. 3, 2014) I put the 175/70R13 on the bike and went out for a 200.7 mile ride to see
how it would do. Yes it fits on the bike fine without clearance issues and I never noted any noises or noticed
any tire rubbing on the underside of the storage space beneath the seat. The speedometer matches the GPS
pretty close speed wise, but the odometer is off by a couple percent with that tire.

It tends to keep the bike rolling longer when off the throttle and actually has a nicer feel to it and corners nicer
than the 165/65R13. The 165/65R13 is a little more square shouldered than the 175/70R13 so that may be why.
I thought it might help with fuel economy, but a 4 mpg improvement seemed not such a big deal to me.
The brakes worked only as standard brakes do. The rear wheel I had the 175/70R13 mounted to is a non-ABS
wheel and is not drilled and threaded for the pulser ring. The bike naturally is easier to get up onto the center
stand, but leans over further when using the side stand.

So the question still remains whether the taller 175/70R13 car tire will have a negative effect on the ABS.
With no pulser ring on the rear, the ABS never got past the start up self test and so the ABS light stayed on
the entire time with no error flashing. I may get the wheel drilled and tapped so a pulser ring will mount to it
sometime in the future.

So that is my initial impressions of the 175/70R13 car tire after only a 200 mile ride. I really would have liked
to test the ABS function with that tire. Maybe somebody else can if they use a tire like that with an ABS Silverwing.
Otherwise, I won't be doing anything more about it until spring.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Login or Register to Remove Ads