View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #12

Update

The gasket I meant was the crankcase gasket, the one that goes all around the crank case, not the one by the gear train. I read somewhere that the crank case without the gasket on it can create suction and end up drawing transmission fluid into the case, drying out the gear train. But maybe that is not so.

The last time I checked the v-belt (along the roadside when the scooter died the first time) it looked just fine. I am doubtful the problem is there, but I haven't opened it up a second time to verify. I finally got the exhaust removed and had a look at the piston. From what I can see, it looks fine. I put some 2-stroke oil into the spark plug hole to lubricate it, and turned the rear wheel to move the piston up and down. It seems lubricated....

...But! Should turning that rear wheel be moving the piston at all? I don't think it should. The piston is supposed to drive the wheel, not the other way around. What does this tell me? Anything? Also, the wheel seems wiling (reluctantly) to turn forward, but it is the reverse direction that it fights me (I can roll it in reverse, but it really doesn't want to go that way).

I have not tried starting it up at all. That seems foolish for now, yes?

Also, regarding gear oil: I can get some 90W on Amazon, and will do so. Given that I have already used ATF, what should I do now?

Last edited by KDS4444; 03-30-2020 at 07:26 PM.