View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payneib View Post
With no qualifications in biology above high school, and from the safety of my sofa, many thousands of miles away, I'm going to throw in something contradictory to that! Lol

As modern science is well aware of now, humans evolved from primates, including baboons who are very usefull for this discussion. In baboons red buttocks on a female indicates to a male that she is ready to breed. One theory suggests that the "arse end advertising" of the baboon reproductive cycle has been inherited by modern man, in that the shape of a woman's body (curve of the shoulders, cleavage, shape of the knee etc) is designed to replicate a nice bum.

Moving on from that, you can see how any male baboon (looking for a red arse in a green jungle) with red/green colour blindness would have failed to mate, and thus any descendants in the evolutionary tree, would have excellent colour differentiating vision.

I personally would suggest that red/green colour blindness is caused by a random configuration of genes, activated by the "Y" chromosome, hence only ever in males.

But that is purely an (un)educated guess: I'm an engineer, not scientist! Lol If you've got anymore pearls of wisdom, keep them coming, that was very interesting!
Thank you.I have many more. In regards to the Baboon what you say is true. But as you know we live in a very diverse and ever changing world. Therefore things are changing as we speak. Is it not odd how we only think of and mention Evolution in its past tense? Meanwhile Evolution is moving forward every day around us..yet we are too blind and stuck in our own paradigm to even see it. Evolution is not Historical by any means...for change never ends..it is the way of our earth and nature itself as well. A good example...and I always like to use my people as an example in this. My ancestors lived in huts made of grass..mud..sticks and clay with dirt floors for the children to play on. They ate raw or poorly cooked meats as well as freshly harvested fruits and vegetables that were not washed or cleansed with soap...or the chemicals producers use today to basically sterilize the produce. They had an immune system similar that of modern day Dogs,Wolves,Coyote,Fox,wild Felines and birds of prey. Not denouncing soap and water of course..but over the past 50 years we have become a Germaphobe paranoid society. We use sanitary wipes for cart handles at Wal Mart, keep gel sanitizer in our purses or throughout the house and we give Antibiotics for even the mildest of viral maladies i.e. the common cold. These are designed for bacteria..and the bacteria(part of evolution still going on oblivious to us for we think of it in past tense only) The bacteria is evolving and due to our Germaphone paranoia...what have we done? We have suppressed our immune systems to the point where..in the 1950's the Flu made us sick..we stayed home...it ran its course..we developed a stronger immunity to it(more evolution) However today..the common flu is fatal to the young and elderly in that we must get Flu shots to avoid it. Know what? It is all our fault. We brought his on. Over the Centuries evolution advanced to defeat each new strain by strengthening our immune system. We mess with nature so we pay the price. Some cultures and religions refer to this as 'Playing God'
Anyway back to your OP. I would have to concur that the Y Chromosome is somehow instrumental in color vision just as it is other in other inherent traits in male vs female. The odd trait that we do share is that both men and women carry both Testosterone and Progesterone..each at a proper level to keep our male/female traits. Androgen while a type of testosterone is found in both but higher so in males. Studies I've read have shown that too much male hormone Androgen causes Acne and can be seen notably more in thin girls with a 12 yo boyish figure..for they suffer Acne worse than the average human.
So again..back to your Op...bear with me..I get lost in thought at times. Attraction for human males and females also comes from the eyes in how they are used when engaging in conversation. Possibly why we all have different eye color as only one color may not attract everyone? Not sure. Medman the Moderator is a PA...he will come along soon I hope...and correct either of our discrepancies..explaining it backed by his in depth knowledge.