View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

LOL!!!
There is ALWAYS more to the story.
I recently bought an "A9" BBK that was supposed to be the 64mm head, A9 cam, and all the gaskets/oil pump.

What I got was a 69mm head (which is better if you're gonna port the roof), no cam, and the 69mm rockers along w/ the gaskets, and the oil pump.

What happens is the sellers of MANY of these kits also sell jewelry, garden hoses, spare tire patches, and tooth brushes. A lot of these sellers don't really know what they are selling.

What I would do is look at the tappet head. Look where the rocker meets the valve stem. At the holes up (timing marks) position, the rocker arm surface should sit SQUARELY on top of the valve stem. There should be no apparent "wedge" shape between the two surfaces.

That will tell you if your rockers, and valves are matched.
IF that's all good then either your head is out of spec or your piston/crank/cylinder are.
No biggie tho. These are mass produced castings made by people that have many more problems in life than most of us. Whatever went wrong on your combo CAN be fixed.

Have you tried looking at your carb slide, and needle?
Most needles have a series of slots to allow you to move it (needle) up for more fuel or down for less fuel.
It's sort of a fine tunning to compensate for in-between main jet sizes.

Back to the head/valves... Open the valve cover, and sight across the flat surface. 69mm valve retainers will stand above the valve cover surface, and 64mm are well below the sighted line.
Now if all above can be verified, and you have the matching head/rockers, and the valve still hits the piston it can be corrected by adding base gaskets to the cylinder (with the A9 cam)

I would try raising the needle in the slide with the fatter jet along with all the rest...

Last edited by DisillusionedPrepper; 01-11-2017 at 08:05 AM.