Thread: Sparkplugs
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

If you listen to the manufacturers, they generate a cleaner spark. While that is true because of the metal molecular structure, it is only applicable to ignition systems that are capable of generating enough electrical power which of course is influenced by many factors you are already aware of. One that you might not know is coil saturation time.

If you look closely at the ignition schematic, the power gen coil in the stator, the CDI, and the ignition coil, you will observe that the discharge capacitor in the CDI first must store enough power in Vac through two crank cycles and that is discharged directly through the ignition coil to ground with literally no coil saturation time- thus you get a very low output.

Even if the coil saturation time were increased to just a millisecond more, then more power which would translate into better starting, running, etc. - With almost any plug or coil!

I just returned from a test ride on a PS model 805, where I had an induction tach (UEI ADL4100) hooked to it. While riding I observed an unsteady rpm with intermittent rpm signal loss. The same test on an otherwise identical scooter running properly had steady rpm and no signal loss.

I am attempting a modification to the CDI and ignition wiring that would allow such an increase. IF I am successful, then most cold weather starting problems as well as others will be a thing of history.

btw.. the scooter with no signal loss runs stronger, and faster even though they are setup identically.