View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
I have already stated my bike's capabilities. I have also stated why running at WOT is bad.

I cannot supplant my own 3 decades of practical experience with your opinion, as it contradicts my own experiences, as well as the opinions of other technicians I have discussed this issue with.

You are free to believe whatever you want, regardless of whether you wish to acknowledge the proven reality that running a gy6 engine a WOT is a very bad plan. But no amount of you believing so is going to rewind time and magically undamage or fix the several gy6 engines I have seen and replaced because their rider thought they could ride in excess of 8k rpms for extended periods

Believe what you want, but simply put, experience and facts disagree with you, ESPECIALLY when you speak of small engines such as lawn mowers and weed-trimmers which are mechanically limited to be impossible to run at dangerous redline rpms.
OK, now we are getting somewhere.

First of all "several" GY6 engines is a basis for "all"?

Your experience with GY6 engines must be limited because there are quite a few tuned to be drag limited way before hitting 8000 rpm's at top speed. This can also be considered a way to mechanically limit the GY6 engine to a safe speed, just like lawn mowers and weed-trimmers.

Your argument that WOT is bad for a GY6 engine is based on the incorrect assumption that all of them will approach or exceed 8000 rpm's running flat out (there are quite a few Taiwanese or Japanese 50cc GY6 based scooters that can and do exceed 9000 rpm's regularly without engine damage).

In some of your previous posts this was including "all engines" which is even more incorrect.

There is some validity to your idea that WOT can be bad.

My point being that this cannot be generalized and applied to every type of engine (including a GY6). Someone with your experience should know this.

For the record I just want to make it clear there are plenty of scooters that can be pushed at WOT without automatically assuming eminent engine damage.