View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #8

Maybe a few turnpikes might have different rules, but a 150cc engine is legal on interstate highways.

So if your bike has a functional top speed of 65 GPS, does that mean usable?

You are saying that WOT is bad and running 8000 rpm's on a GY6 is bad. Does that mean one or the other or both together are bad? What if running WOT is below 8000 rpm's, is that bad?

What about a lawnmower, weedeater or chainsaw? Should everyone modify the carb or throttle so it can't run WOT or near the redline? What about a 2-stroke engine that has external lubrication and no valves?

I'll ask again. Is WOT bad on every engine, or just a GY6?

What about millions of small Japanese scooters that are rev-limited at top speed? People ride WOT all of the time, how many of these do you see with a prematurely failed engine?

What about events like the Scooter Cannonball? Does this mean the people that compete and finish are just lucky? And yes, there were some GY6 scooters which finished (nothing Chinese).

What about all of the documented trips of people taking small motorcycles or scooters on long trips? To Alaska, to South America, across the United States, around the world, across Canada, and their little machines make it. I think my favorite was across Canada on a Yamaha C3. They seriously overloaded it by more than 100 lbs and then rode it WOT for 3000 miles, two-up. They continued to ride it for a long time afterwards with no ill effects.

I think a quality well built and designed small engine can run at or near WOT for a good percentage of it's lifetime and still have acceptable reliability and longevity. Not all engines are capable of this, and Chinese GY6 engines seem to have a bad reputation for failing when ridden at high speeds.

But there are many Kymco People 150, Kymco Agility 125, Genuine Buddy 125/150, Lance Cali Classic 125/150, SYM Fiddle II 125 and others running their GY6 engines hard all of the time with no worries.

I just can't accept the generalization that running all engines at or near WOT is bad and will break them...