View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitsum View Post
Is this specific to GY6 engines or all engines? Is this more likely to happen on a Chinese engine?

Do you have any data to back these numbers up?

I don't have any data, so I'll give my opinion strictly as a guess and from personal experience.

Neglect is probably the number one cause of engine failure. Running low or out of oil, running on dirty and broken down oil, running lean because of a dirty carb/clogged air filter or an air leak, valves out of adjustment etc, will break an engine faster than anything else including running WOT.

I ran my Honda Elite 110, CPI Oliver City 50, SYM DD50, SYM HD200, Yamaha C3, and Tomos Nitro 150 at WOT for extended periods repeatedly with no engine problems.

I noticed in your signature you state the top speed of your scooter is 65 mph GPS verified. What good is that if you are unable or unwilling to use it?

I tentatively question that you may be saying running a Chinese scooter at WOT is not recommended?
17 years as professional automotive technician, and 25 years as a motorcyclist have taught me all about how excessive WOT riding can drop valves, blow head gaskets, seize oil-pumps ect.

Working on my clubs's fleet of 12 current scooters has re-affirmed all of this, as two of my riders INSIST WOT is cool, and routinely waste gy6 engines (not that they care, a whole engine is only $500 or less)

My bike has FUNCTIONAL top-speed of 65 mph, so what I should be saying is "I have ridden my bike at a maximum speed of 65mph gps verified", I hit 65 at about 7800 to 8000 rpm on FLATS, my bike redlines at 8500, and has a MAX rpm of aprox. 10,500 (or whatever I set it to with the adjustable CDI, the CDI limits RPMS to 12,500, I have it SET to 10,500)

As to "what good is it": What good is riding at 65+mph? Why do I need to ride my bike at a faster speed? 150cc are NATIONALLY BANNED from limited access highways in the USA. I see NO logic in running my bike in the higher RPMS, and risking inner damage from OIL STARVATION.

I simply do not understand this logic of people claiming that engines are supposed to run at 100% of their power band routinely. I don't buy this as it is illogical. That's like claiming that because you can run at full-speed, you should never walk. I mean running is cool and all, but find me a doctor who says you should run constantly. You won't. He'd say not to run everywhere as fast as you can as it is BAD for you to do so.

As to my estimate that most engine death occurs at high RPMs, I invite you to ask ANY engine building shop about this.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.