View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 12:35 AM   #9

Sorry for the long hiatus, i got sidetracked with stuff for a while. But i I did try and weld the pipe a few days ago, and the weld took hold easily...But i was unable to get the alignment correct, so after trying several more times i gave up and ordered a new pipe and that came in today. So i have the bike back up and running and it is working fine, however i am still concerned the pipe may break again at that same point. This is the 3rd pipe now afterall and the previous 2 broke at the same point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
Pete,
When I first read this, I envisioned this split along the pipe, rather than at the seam; Reading again, I see that's what you had said.
How does this muffler and pipe fit? What I'm asking is, does it seem to line up to all the mounts or do you have to torque it into place? Maybe there is stress on it when bolted in; then vibration causes it to crack at the weak point.?.

This is the only picture I have of my muffler, but you can see where the strap attaches; it's underneath and further back, connected to posts on the swingarm.
NP on the misreading and thanks for the picture Gene its very helpful, i believe we have the same muffler to and how you have your straps is what i will try and emulate. I currently only have one strap on mine, and i think its not strong enough to take all of the pressure off the muffler pipe head, which is why its breaking at the seam there. When i first put the pipe on it does align correctly, so it must be the bracket.

I am using the top bolt hole to mount the bracket though, which is opposite of your setup. I notice you have your brackets mounted underneath, that might be why i have been having trouble with it from the beginning - simply mounting the bracket wrong and over time it caused a break at the weak point [the seam]

Ill upload a picture of my current setup, again though thanks for the pic that alone has maybe fixed the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
If you're using a muffler that attaches with straps, you have to place the strap as close to the middle as possible.
Yes i am using a muffler that needs straps, infact the muffler i have looks to be identical to what Gene563 has in the pic above your message.

Last edited by peonpete; 05-02-2017 at 02:18 AM.