View Single Post
Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #14

Just did my first valve adjustment

I REVISE WHAT I HAVE SAID BELOW

Have 45 miles on my BMS Prestige 150. I was advised I should change the oil (before recommend 150 mile break in) and check/adjust valves. I noticed a TICK after I adjusted it like OP, and think I know why.... more below. What I did...

There is a data tag right on the bike with specs.

INTAKE 0.003-0.004
EXHAUST 0.005-0.007

Intake was 0.004 and left it alone. The exhaust was at or under 0.004. So I adjusted it to 0.006", assuming it was midway. This was before reading the internet wisdom that 0.005" was magic, even less.

Why do you become hyper aware of a sound that was already there before? The OP valves were probably ticking before to some degree. Once you work on it, seat and fairing off, ear paid full attention, you hear it. Hyper aware, I noticed a small tick when COLD.

There is a phenomenon when flying little planes out over the ocean or rough terrain. As soon as you get feet wet or over wilderness, the engine runs rough (or you think it is). It is not running rough, it is just your imagination. It is called "auto-roughness". Same with valves. There is ALWAYS some valve train noise... However I you may have made a mistake...

With that said I'll go back and check and adjust the Exhaust to 0.005". You don't want mechanical lifter valves too lose or too tight.

If you get it so tight the valve (especially the exhaust) does not seat, and you get blow-by. On the exhaust that can cause burnt valve and valve seat.

WELL I WENT BACK AND ADJUSTED EXHAUST VALVE. I THOUGHT I HAD SET IT TO 0.006. IT WAS WAY LESS. I RESET IT AND DOUBLE, TRIPLE CHECKED AND SET IT TO 0.005. NO MORE TICK TICK TICK... HUMMM.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; 06-23-2017 at 07:11 PM.