View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

Jezz, I sound like a preacher in the post above. Didn't really mean to come across that way.

You've replaced the carb and fuel filter....so your problem is probably something else. While you had either of those items off, did you check the fuel pump output? (you stated fuel pump, this means the tank is below engine) Check by placing the disconnected fuel line in a container and turning engine over with the starter. Should get a good flow while cranking the starter.

Do you have the air cleaner connected? Way too much air, like you would get with the air cleaner disconnected, would cause the engine to do exactly as you describe.....start and idle fine, but quit when throttle is applied. Check the vacuum hose that runs from the intake manifold to the fuel pump, or "petcock" if your tank is above the engine. Sometimes hoses are too long, and prone to being kinked or pinched off when re-installing body panels or the like. Sometimes they aren't pushed all the way onto the nipples as they should be.

I would certainly pull the valve cover off, and check the valve clearances. Mine were not right from the factory, but were corrected before I started it for the first time. You said yours ran fine for a few weeks, clearances will close up quicker on a new engine as it breaks in, and they could easily have been a bit tight out of the factory. Set to (.004" for the intake)...and (.005" for the exhaust).