Thread: Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

First do a FULL PDI (post delivery inspection), replace all the rubber hoses with automotive-grade EMISSIONS HOSE (Not vacuum hoes, emissions hose is resistant to fuel and oil) or TYGON (helix is the same stuff, PROTHANE) your hoses should be 3/16" (7mm).

GREASE with high-temp AUTOMOTIVE BEARING GREASE. Grease your HEADSET BEARINGS( fork bearings) front AXEL and SPEEDOMETER PUCK. Apply a SMALL AMOUNT of GREASE to the LOCATOR PINS (sliding pins) on each BRAKE CALIPER.

Make sure EVERY NUT AND BOLT IS TIGHT, in fact, inspect the bolts you can easily access EVERY ride, and do a FULL bolt tightness inspection of ALL BOLTS AND NUTS on bike once every two months.

And that's a PDI

So for upgrade, the first thing I would do is play with the variator weights. lighter weights=quicker acceleration, heavy weights = higher top speed, but less acceleration. I usually do not recommend heavier weights.

Then I would do the carb. Get a MAIN JET KIT and an OPEN ELEMENT air filter. You most likely will have to try different sized jets to get the one best for you (I'm at 800' elevation, I use a #115 jet on my 150cc 157qmj and a "paper cone" style air filter). Usually, when you do the carb jetting it is good practice to install a CATCH CAN. You can buy one, or build your own for little cash (cost me $13 to build mine). If you opt not to instal a CATCH CAN, route the CRANKCASE BREATHER HOSE to a location where it will not spill oild on your tire or the rest of the bike. Some people suggest using a PCV valve, but I STRONGLY DISAGREE as this RAISES the pressure in the oils system, which is bad news for a SLING OIL SYSTEM, which is essentially what we have in the gy6.

The cvt and carb jets give you a big bang for the buck. You can get 30% more "oomph" with these mods alone.

After those, the next step is an AGGRESSIVE CDI and HOTTER COIL, both of which will give you more take-off power.

That's about it really, sans nitrous or a BBK, both of which I personally recommend against unless you are prepared to do serious engine work. However, I have seen very impressive nitrous and BBKs, so if you are capable, have at it!

Good luck man

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.