Thread: I give up
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandito2 View Post
I believe it is a problem with the carb from the original engine. If that is not the problem then I'll need to find another solution. But I'll not tear my hair out doing that. (don't have too much on top of my head now as it is.) I'll get through it as you and others will too. It takes a clear, calm and level head to get through difficulties. Screaming and generally loosing control of ones self makes getting things to go in your favor all the more difficult.
Another solution is what was needed and indeed that was discovered during the process of removing one carburetor to replace it with a known "good carb". The problem was not with the carburetor itself per se, but rather the hoses than project from the carb like the snake hair of Medusa. Small diameter hoses that run to and from the carb that carry engine coolant to heat the carb had been swapped around with some of the air/vacuum hoses by the previous owner. Getting everything properly routed solved the major part of the problem. The minor part of the problem was the need for gaskets that fit around the air filter. Without the gaskets, excess air can enter the carb making it run too lean. That will get fixed as soon as the new gaskets arrive in the mail.

Sometimes it's like Occam's Razor. Occam's Razor is a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct. During the early part of my problem solving, I had posited the idea of switched around hoses. I even looked, but not thoroughly enough. It was difficult to see EXACTLY where things were routed and I made the mistake then of assuming everything was as it should be. So I continued on a wild goose chase until the proper diagnosis eventually was discovered.

I guess the lesson learned for me was to follow up THOROUGHLY on initial impressions. I could have saved myself the frustration, head scratching and needless knuckle busting wrench work. Problem solvers take note.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me