View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno711 View Post
Hey Rocky,

Thanks for restarting this thread.....well sort of anyway.....The original is lost somewhere in deep cyberspace.

I'm interested in this comment
"For a heart healthy diet I use a paper filter in the drip makers and perculators to limit the hard oils that get extracted using only brown paper filters and save the Espresso for special occasions."

Are you saying the oils are unhealthy? I thought they added to the taste.

Danno
I am going by a lecture given by Dr. Isadore Rosenthal on health where he covered coffee. He mentioned that you could drink all the filtered coffee you wanted if you didn't have diabetes or a heart condition as there were antioxident properties in coffee that did promote good health and could help prevent many ailments including diabeties. However unfiltered coffee had many oils and acids that over time could build up cortisol levels in the blood stream leading to hardening of the cell membranes and resistance to insulin along with plaquing of the arteries. Don't remember all the details but that was the gist of it. There is a brief blurb out on Fox News with the short answer by him on the direct impact on the heart as regards caffine however that does not address the acids and oils that are covered in the complete ansewer.

On the various oils in coffee, the temperature at which they are released along with their impact on flavor my kid brother is the one to talk to. At culinary school he won an Award of Excellence from the National Restaraunt Association for his coffee brewing skills. His award for being able to bone out a whole chicken in less than 30 seconds would caution you not to startle him in a dark alley.

The other thread is not lost that is why I provided the "Read More" link to it in my first post.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by rockynv; 01-25-2013 at 04:47 AM.