View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 01:00 AM   #6

Response and suggestions for what to do next?

Regarding the v-belt: when I say I "measured" it, I mean I verified that the width of the belt was correct both for my scooter and for the packaging, and when I lined it up against the original one I could detect next to no difference in circumference (the older belt was very slightly larger in diameter, which I expected). I only replaced it anyway as part of the overhaul, not because it appeared overly worn. I just suspect it when I smelled the hot rubber.

Which, by the way, do you think is being caused by what, exactly? My own mortified guess is that it might have been the smell of the O-rings around the piston overheating/ decomposing, and if so, I am obviously screwed. But thoughts on that? Are there any other rubber parts involved here that might have been getting much too hot somehow?

Since I am able to force it to roll forward, I am guessing my best move now is just to try to get it home (since there's no way I am performing a repair on my cylinder along the side of the street in Los Angeles). Will it be damaging to the piston/ cylinder for me to even force-roll the scooter up a ramp and into some kind of moving truck, do you think? I obviously can't tow it by raising the front tire since the back one is the one that won't rotate.