View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #4

Last first

Starting with your last question first, I did the repairs to the overhaul myself— I have tried to be my own mechanic for my scooter, and have so far been successful with this: I rebuilt the engine once, have replaced my own front hydraulic break pads, and have replaced both tires myself in the past. The crank case and its contents are new ground for me, though. I had also been trying to adjust the rich/ lean mix of the fuel in an attempt to reduce the smoke from the exhaust— I had been trying to lean it out, since it seemed to be always running too rich. I may very well have ended up running it too lean. Damn. Damn, damn, damn. You are saying that I will be able to see any scrapes on the piston if I remove the exhaust and look up? And that if I find any, I am gonna have to get it towed home to work on it? And will need to replace the cylinder head? Ow. Lets hope this is not it, though according to what you have said, it almost certainly is. It's a haul to get back out there, so may not be able to check until tomorrow, but will certainly be updating you soon.

I am certain the belt is the correct size: I was careful to select a belt that was a direct replacement for the one I had, and I measured it before installing it, I also watched it operate, watched the variator close while the clutch opened, and it seemed to work fine at the time (3 days ago). I don't recall any spacer washers inside the gear box, but myself pressed the drive gear into its casing: I had to freeze it to do this, but once it was frozen good and the gear box cover was hot I used a rubber mallet to smack the drive gear and its bearing into the box cover before replacing the gasket (one I cut myself, and which was not leaking fluid) and closing up the box. The scooter sat for several days following this, with no loss of fluid from around the gear box anywhere, but I am considering draining it and opening it up again anyway to check this.

I won't have my new gasket for the exhaust/ cylinder connection for a few more days, and it sounds like I shouldn't attempt to even start it until that gasket is in place, but if, as you said, there are scratch marks on the piston, will a new gasket here matter much? I will need to replace the piston (I assume) and the cylinder head? Yes? These are nightmare things to have to do, but if they are necessary and if the alternative is to sell it for parts and have no more scooter, than I guess I will have to do them.

But first, I need to get back out there with some tools and have a look. Ugh. Will let you know how I progress, even if it is only misery that lies ahead of me!