View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #7

Update:Burnt wires, need some help!

So I had a chance to tear off the back half of my bike and really take a look at what was going on... So, things I found that seemed to be working:
1. I have spark
2. Gas is free-flowing from the filter
3. Fuel pump is working like it is supposed to

My carb, on the other hand, I could grab it and turn it sideways with little effort... So, I replaced the hose clamps on both sides of the carby and she cranked up... Maybe that was it, maybe not... I know now that it for sure isn't my fuel pump.... So I am still thinking I need to look into a new coil and CDI..

BTW, I think I found my CDI under the seat in the storage area, is that normal?

Now, for the real problem ATM. I let the bike sit and idle for a good 10 minutes to warm up and see if the CDI or coil would get hot enough to want to kick out... Well, I happen to glance at the wire harness cluster on the right rear and saw SMOKE! Yikes!

I isolated the hot wires to this particular set:

Photo Apr 29, 5 20 21 PM.jpg

See the messed up harness? It melted together.... The wires are going to a rubber plug in the top of the crankcase:

Photo Apr 29, 5 20 53 PM.jpg

It is just to the right of the bracket... Here is a wider shot to show where it is a little better:

Photo Apr 29, 5 21 03 PM.jpg

The only thing I can think of that is right there and need wires is MAYBE a low oil pressure sensor.... Any ideas what this is and why it melted the harness? There are two sets of harnesses connected to the rubber thing in the crank case, and only the one got hot.. Also, the wire is covered in woven cloth type material, not regular plastic like regular wires. The harness that got hot has three wires in it... the other has two.

I traced this set of wires all the way to under the front fairing, and they are in the main wire loom that runs from the front to the back of the bike.

One other thing of note is that they only get hot when the bike is running... I left the key in the on position, but didn't start the bike just to test, and the wires didn't get hot.

Any help would be appreciated!

Smoak