View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #39

Variator

Hm. I opened up the crank case (yet again) and it turns out my variator nut was coming loose. I could have sworn I put threadlocker on it, but apparently not. I have put threadlocker on it now, however, and tightened it down well. Am just waiting for it to cure before I try starting it up again. I have put some sealant around the cracks in the air filter box which I think will hold it until the replacement elbow joint arrives in a week or so. I still haven't gotten my torque wrench, but I have tightened up all of the nuts around the cylinder head as well as the bolts around the reed valve as tight as I dare. Stripping any of these would be a disaster.

My mother has suggested I get an electric scooter and ditch this project altogether before it gets more expensive and still doesn't work. If I had a charging port ready to go for my parking space, I wouldn't hesitate. I do intend to make the switch to electric at some point, but I am so close to finishing up with the Zuma that I can almost taste it. I think!

... Less than 20 minutes later...

Well, it runs. I wasn't sure it ever would, but it does. It's making large plumes of noxious low-lying smoke as it does, so there is still some adjusting to be done somewhere, but the damn thing runs again. How about that??