View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
Is the engine running lean, possibly?
How does the plug look?
I have a 150cc TaoTao, and have never had any issues with the header pipe ... the muffler clogged, probably from over-rich, but that's another story. My head pipe is slightly sooty inside and as good a shape as day one. I've had it for over a year and a half with over 3K miles.
Thats a good question and i didnt even think of that. Originally when i bought this scooter, i kept it entirely stock and never touched the roller weights/the Cam/the Carb jets. But when that first stock muffler rusted off at the header, i bought a replacement pipe and hooked that up to a performance exhaust that i had laying around, so i havnt checked its lean/rich condition but i will say that when i went WOT and let off the gas - loud pop pop pop pops would [which sounded great i wont lie]. I assume that means it was running lean.

Here is a link to the pipe that i bought 2x now, he is still selling it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221541928221...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I do recall it being spray painted black, and it looked slightly rusty after that paint burned off. He might be selling old stock as new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
The only thing that I can suggest (have done it myself , on a customers bike)is to buy a new one & before installation take it to a welding shop & have them weld it correctly. Might be slightly expensive but when compared to the cost of 3 headers it's not! Irish

P.S. Also resurface your faces or if you want to do a Rube Goldberg fix - Double up on your gaskets. I wouldn't suggest that. I always figured - "Do it right or don't do it"
Thats another alternative, im thinking of buying a welding machine off craigslist and just welding it. It feels so lame to have my header pipe break 3x over lol.

Login or Register to Remove Ads