View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnts2 View Post
All of you were more or less dam lucky. So was I. Vietnam and Korea and Japan and the closest I came to getting scared was an ofd duty South Vietnamese soldier pulled a pin at the end of the alley I lived on in Saigon and blew himself apart. In fact so lucky I have been half ashamed till recently.

Yes, it is nice that a few civilians act like they think we are not dirt. But I noticed that the sales clerks at Lowes no longer say anything about it, when I show my ID and ask for the 10% discount. They used to thank us for our service.

But pay attention to the US governement. Pay attention to how our damaged brotheres are treated. A friend who had his knees permanently damaged from a bad chute landing is still waiting for surgery and I have no doubt it will not come before he goes on Medicare and thus gets off VA's budget. The VA is underfunded. It always has been and always will be. Your retirement with not keep up with the real changes in the cost of things you buy Hank, . I could go on, but I think we all know the drill. Look at the homeless and the suiside and unemployed statistices. Frankly, as a businessman, I hate the fact that I often cannot find a younger vet that I can trust with with my customers.

I think it is a serious problem. I am a bit worried about it. But those of you as young as Hank perhaps need to worry more.

lefty2
Lloyd...what you say my friend..is the sad truth. The VA does not compensate me for my service connected issues. For one...I was not given a Purple Heart for the AK bullet to my back right side...taking out a portion of my kidney and the Adrenal Cortex. Reason being for the above both...it was a civilian lady that did it. THEREFORE it is NOT considered "Due to enemy engagement" Seems the Gov will do anything to save money due us...to spend on themselves. Just as you mentioned..I often think in terms of the near future in that on a whim they will suspend and cancel our currently received retirement pensions. While just as they do now...can serve one term in Congress and get a 100% retirement pension. We must do 20 years to get 50% and 30 years to get 75%...and now that seems threatened. Glad you did ok in Vietnam...my uncle did not fair so well...because as he says... "There...just as work in my civilian job...I never knew who my enemy was" He was the victim of some sort of trap..where when stepping on the trigger mechanism..4 sharpened Bambo spears spring up and catch you in the chest. Wow..and I thought IED's in Iraq were Barabaric..
Lloyd...I can tell by your writings and enjoy them VERY much...that you can take a man out of the military..but you shall never take the military out of such man. I keep a Journal on my PC of all my thoughts and writings...it is very therapeutic for me. Here it is my friend--> Observations on life by Glenn #6470: Fear is not reality...it is just a product of thoughts we create in or minds..... Danger is very real....but fear is a choice....
Lloyd...thank you for your service..and the traditional "Welcome home brother" is in order...