View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

I will say this, all the brands you listed are builders of fine machines.
I once wanted a Vespa, but price and high costs of labor and the waiting times for service when talking with owners,was the major bitch I heard about them.

For me, the scooter picked me out, it ran over and humped my leg, and I just had to have it.
It turned out to be a Honda Big Ruckus.
I had ZERO scooter mechanical ability, but the fine folks on Total Ruckus, in the BR section, strongly suggested I get a full service manual for the BR, best $60.00 I ever spent.
I've owned my first one since 2008, and in 2009 found one with lots of upgrades and the guy was fire selling it for $2400.00 and I walked away with it for $2200.00.
In 15,000 miles, it's never been to the shop, except to swap out tires...and now I take them off, take the tires to a shop, where change them way cheaper than if they have to remove and remount.
Again they all have their pluses and minuses, I heard Suzuki can be a bit of a pain due to the tupperware and getting to fasteners to do the work of roller changes, basic clutch maintenance, filling the final drive with oil, belt changes.
However Honda tech's are expensive as Vespa techs are, so anyone taking a scooter to a shop for everything better have deep pockets, and ride for the fun of it, not the economy of it.
I would steer your scooter looking eyes towards older used models Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki.
Keep looking man there are some golden buys out there, and if you can get a friend with a pick up truck, to agree to a couple of hundred miles of travel to get one you find, it opens the amount of scooters to look at.
Hell the last Scooter Cannoball winner was a 30 year old Honda Helix, the guy bought for like a $1000.00 and only swapped out rollers and a belt, and strapped a big assed gas can to the front of it.
My advice would be offer $2000.00 for the Vespa, knowing you will not get it, then search every motorcycle sales outlet you can find and start searching, for that 150-250cc machine and get a service manual, and teach yourself basic scooter tinkering skills.
It to me is the only way scooter/motorcycle ownership is cheap transportation.
When something is bigger then you can handle, you saved a bit of money before hand, so the repair by tech's is tolerable.
This is just my bullshit theory, there are many much more smart folks in here, and they will offer to help you out also.
Good luck in your search.
Also remember, your scooter purchase is one thing, tags,title insurence, and some decent falling down clothes is a must buy also man, boots, some rain gear, maybe a cover for it. Just sayin!