View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwscooterboy View Post
SUCCESS!!!

A few questions:
Does anyone use the center stand when they park at the store, etc after traveling there? Or do they use the single kickstand? That center stand is kind of a b&#*h to get down but I don't want to look TOO much like a newbie by using just my kickstand if I should be using the center stand all the time.

I know there will be breaking in period...I've noticed just riding it around the driveway today that the exhaust smell is pretty strong smelling. Is this normal for a brand new scooter? I noticed the PDI videos I watched that the guy in one video showed how you can screw out the little caps that are on a carburetor so you can adjust the mix. I wonder if my mix is off? But it might be too early to tell.

The scooter arrived from Scooter Madness (or wherever they have it shipped from) in one piece for the most part...however the "paint job" that is on the main rear body piece - well, check out the pic. Where the stripe is SUPPOSED to meet in the back is waaaay off. I've already submitted this to the company and after I spoke with Tao Tao on the phone, it looks like it will be replaced because obviously it's under warranty.

When I get time, I'll do a little review and give you my feedback after a few rides.
Man, you are one motivated individual. Hat's off to you.

I find that I almost always use my center stand. Once in a while I'll use the side stand, but that's usually when I'm at home. It just seems "tippy" to me. I always imagine a good stiff breeze or a shopping cart laying it over while I'm in the store.

I don't know if this is true for scooters, but growing up working on air-cooled VWs it was always a rule of thumb to let it warm up a little before making the engine push you down the road. I start it on the center stand and it revs high enough to spin the back wheel for a minute. Then, when the choke opens up, the idle spools down and evens out. The CVT stops spinning the wheel at that point, and I feel like I'm good to go. Not only does this allow the oil to splash around everywhere it's supposed to, but it also lets all the metal bits warm up and snuggle in. John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" taught me a lot about air cooled engines and how to (and not to) take care of them.

Happy riding!

Hey, look what that idiot said!