View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigit View Post
A scoot is way less safe than a car.

I hate this perception. I know this is a can of worms but, the statistics show that if you remove the hooligan factor i.e., excessive speed, brake over run due to excessive speed, helmetless shenanigans and so on, that motorcycling is about even with car driving. Add ATGATT and those statistics suddenly don't seem to say riding is unsafe, just stupid riding is unsafe but then again that's why we call it stupid right. Most accidents, and I mean like the vast majority, that result in death happen to poorly trained, unhelmeted, no gear wearing, weekend (if that often) riders who are out to show their friends how cool they are. I am unaware of any study that excludes unsafe practices or only keeps track of well trained properly geared riders results in their reports. Additionally all statistics are nationwide. This says nothing about how much more aware of bikes people are when they are more common...

Here in New Mexico I threw the studies out the window and I keep track only of reality. Last 2 years all but one fatality was un-helmeted, there was a total of 10 or so. The helmeted one who died was hit head on by a drunk driver, his passenger survived, I don't know that any car smart or otherwise would have faired much better...

I know a lot of people who work in emergency rooms and almost all the ones who work in the local one here. They have mentioned how unsafe riding was to me I asked them if they ever had a rider dressed like me, ATGATT, in the ER I have yet to find one who did... Makes you wonder...

More later must get back to work, Sorry for the open can of worms

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing