View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #1

Build thread for Codename: Ugly Duckling/Blue Flame

Hey guys! As the title states, this will serve as my build thread for my most recent custom build. First, a story:
Many years ago, I was offered the opportunity to buy this:

A then-just-barely running Honda Met, for the going price of the front frame/title. I had a bunch of GY6 parts sitting around at that point, and jumped at the idea of getting a second GY6 swap on the road. Over the course of the next few months, my fiancee Nicole and I slowly compiled a parts list of everything we would still need to turn the Ugly Duckling into what would become the Blue Flame.
Next summer, I went to work ordering the parts we needed and working on assembling the bike as it would ultimately sit (I thought):

And the day I put all the parts together:
This was far from the end of the build, as fate would have it. I got the plastics painted with some high end model paint with nice metallic flakes in it, and color matched the frame as best I could with plasti-dip because the model paint was only good for the plastics. Overall, I was not nearly as worried about the finer points of the aesthetics, so much as the visually striking stance and chrome accents to give the bike a rat-rod sort of look.

Anyway, one day I was riding around testing my recently completed and painted bike when I hit a bunch of headwind and was swept into a pothole and sheared off my rear shock mount:

and royally screwed my exhaust as well:
It sacrificed itself to save my motor, which turned out to not really matter as I used the downtime to get the motor built with quality, performance parts that hopefully will last (TY David Bullock, awesome job):

This is the blue flame as she currently sits, EFI and all:

Thanks for reading my build thread, dawgs! Much appreciated, hope you enjoyed it and if you want to know anything about the bike, the parts I used, or anything else feel free to ask!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by stevotivo12; 06-23-2019 at 07:29 AM.