View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #20

Yeah, impacts are nice. I just have this crazy notion of doing things without technology. I feel the need to engineer ways around it. It takes me 3 times as long sometimes but when I get it done my beer tastes so much better. I used a spanner wrench with a piece of 12 gauge steel I cut into a strip and bent into a circle. I bent the strip of steel so it would slide in the inside of the fins. I tightened my spanner wrench onto that and put a 12" cheater on it. I held that while I used my 1/2 ratchet to get the nut off. Didn't cost me any money, take about 3 times as long, and my impact was sitting right there in the bottom drawer of my Snap-On box. Goofy, but when I got it done I watched the sunset with my faithful dog and my Dos Equis and had a feeling of awesomeness because I didn't run my power bill up starting the compressor. And my granddad, the rigger of the planet and my absolute hero, was watching me from upstairs smiling up a storm. I'm the only one in the family other than him to join the military. He served in WWII and Korea, I went to Kuwait for my very first deployment in 1997 when we bombed Afghanistan. He learned how to use email just so he could let me know he loved me every day and ask me about what I was doing. He died then I did 3 more tours between Iraq and Afghanistan. So yeah, it was worth it. You didn't need to know all of that but I'm just explaining why I attempt to engineer the things I do and make it harder on myself. It's a tribute actually. HAHAHA.

Login or Register to Remove Ads