Thread: 2 or 4 Stroke?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
I don't know about marine engines but I had a 500cc, three cylinder two stroke for 30,000 miles and six years without trouble. Even on a four stroke pumps can fail. That wouldn't concern me.
I had a 750 Suzuki 3 cylinder water cooled 2 stroke...put just over 36,000 miles on it before it needed rings. 750 2 stroke!! Eeesh talk about quick...
I currently have a 2008 Adly Thunder Bike 50 2 stroke with a 72cc BBK.. It has 7,900 on the BBK. Only failure I ever had was on the stock 50cc top end. I left the oil box cap off while filling it...went inside to get some coffee and unknowingly the neighbors 3 yo poured water into the box. (which of course settled to the bottom..and the oil floated up) I started it and ran 2 miles...causing it to seize.. Pulling the oil line I saw water drain out..so I emptied the reservoir into a 2 liter Pepsi bottle and saw 3 inches of oil..with 1/2 inch of water at the bottom of the bottle!! The Adly is old..but still looks and runs like new. I also have a few 4 strokes... Jonway Sunny's.. I like both 2 stroke and 4 stroke.. The 2 stroke is super fast off the line and top end is 56+mph...good for zipping in and out of heavy city traffic...however it does not like long rides such as 20 miles each way at high speeds..it tends to run hot and lose power...no matter what main jet I use. The 4 strokes are good for long trips and I have easily done several 120 mile round trips.. They get better mileage than the 2 strokes also. The 4 strokes have 80cc BBK's in them so they have good takeoff and power...albeit not jet like such as my 2 strokes. They will hit 48-50mph...but prefer to cruise at about 45mph so they don't rev at 8,000 rpm. 2 strokes are ok with cruising at 8,000 rpm...but 4 strokes are pushing the engine when ya do that. Lastly.. 2 strokes are being phased out so parts are now harder to find...and when ya do...they are costly. 4 stroke parts are a 'dime a dozen' and can be found everywhere at a much lower price. Sooo you must ask yourself...what kind of riding you plan to do.. Zipping around town with an occasional longer trip...or lots of long runs.. i.e. 20-30 mile trips. NOT saying a 2 stroke cannot make long trips..but I find they wear more when ya do. Ya see..I LOVE both...therefore I have both as they both have attributes the other does not have. So just buy 2 Scoots...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water buffalo.jpg (85.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20140713_173758.jpg (47.4 KB, 0 views)