View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

SUCCESS!!!

Well, I thought it might take me 3-4 afternoons but it ended up to be just a couple. I have 3-4 screws to put on the scoot and install the trunk but for the most part, it's done! Took me probably about 20 hrs total. (probably a lot for most but this is my first one)

Here's what I did....

Unpacked scooter and inspected all parts and welds.
Installed front wheel
Was going to put the liquid in the battery but SURPRISE! This Tao Tao came with a sealed battery compartment with the acid already in it!
Removed as much plastic/housing as I could
Replaced vacuum and fuel lines with Helix tubing and installed NGK sparkplug
More assembly and used loctite on all permanent bolts
Here's where I did a little overkill - opened up all electrical connections and put in di-Electric grease in connection then after closing it up, used silicone around any openings of the connectors to seal it. Living in the Pacific NW, moisture is aplenty here!
Changed motor and gear oil
Did a first start before putting all the plastic on....started right up! I did adjust the idle screw just a bit.
Reinstalled all plastic. Used loctite in appropriate places...also put a dab of silicone on screws that were screwing into plastic to make sure they don't vibrate loose over time.

That's where I'm at at this point. Of course there are like 5 million little screws that hold all the plastics on and I misplaced a few so I need to pick up a few of those today (looks like a common screw I can get at the hardware store), install the seat and then the trunk and I'll be good to go.

A few questions:
Does anyone use the center stand when they park at the store, etc after traveling there? Or do they use the single kickstand? That center stand is kind of a b&#*h to get down but I don't want to look TOO much like a newbie by using just my kickstand if I should be using the center stand all the time.

I know there will be breaking in period...I've noticed just riding it around the driveway today that the exhaust smell is pretty strong smelling. Is this normal for a brand new scooter? I noticed the PDI videos I watched that the guy in one video showed how you can screw out the little caps that are on a carburetor so you can adjust the mix. I wonder if my mix is off? But it might be too early to tell.

The scooter arrived from Scooter Madness (or wherever they have it shipped from) in one piece for the most part...however the "paint job" that is on the main rear body piece - well, check out the pic. Where the stripe is SUPPOSED to meet in the back is waaaay off. I've already submitted this to the company and after I spoke with Tao Tao on the phone, it looks like it will be replaced because obviously it's under warranty.

When I get time, I'll do a little review and give you my feedback after a few rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roman102.jpg (96.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by nwscooterboy; 07-26-2014 at 04:40 PM.