View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 AM   #6

Ok... I think I know where you are going with this.
I see from the Pagsta adds that they came in 49cc, and 97cc versions.

Why not simply swap out complete engines and go with the 97cc version. That can be modified with a dremel (porting), and basic sprocket changes to make a little powerhouse for as little cash as possible.
Same for the 49cc engine... There is no need, and very little advantage to highly modify these little engines. I'll bet a dollar to a dough-nut that the modified bike you are trying to find info on is no longer running. That's most likely why info is scarce after the initial posts.

Now I used to modify the little honda NC-50 engines that the Lifan is cloned from. They made them in both 2, and 4 stroke versions, and both were little powerhouses that can run forever.
I don't know the other brand you mentioned but I would personally go with a Lifan or an old OEM Honda

The CDI Ignition is just that... The ignition system. That has nothing to do with lighting. The stator/charging coil controls the lighting, and any engine can be adapted for lights. That's not an issue.

Electric start is another thing. If you really want it, then there is no real easy retro fitting one. It's not mandatory in any event.
I run the 50mm big bore kits on the GY6 base engines I have, and I remove the electric start just because the high compression I run taxes the starter too much. Anywhere from 1-3 kicks, and I'm gone...

That comes to my final point. The OEM Lifan 49cc street engine runs 8.5:1 compression.
That can easily be bumped up to 10:1, and add a few torque points. Perhaps the dirt engine is already higher? Fitting lighting to the dirt version is easy enough...

I see your quandary. Which engine should be as easy as what is available cheapest. Then figure anywhere between 100.00, and 300.00 to modify it as much as is reliable, and practical. None of them are burn out screamers but any of them are capable of 50MPH ish, without running nitros or insane cams.
Head work, carbs, and exhausts are your best mods for the money. Gearing dials it in.
If you look up GY6 head porting the same will apply to all these little engines. Forget the exotic stuff (head / cylinder swaps from other brands). Reliability is first on a street engine.