View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #17

Accept that in this example, Hildo was quicker off the line than the Hondazuki rider. More about the rider than the bike, but the longer wheelbase bike is easier to control at launch. How many of "us" out accelerate faster, more powerful vehicles at stoplights? Scooters generally rule the "intersection" in spite of short wheelbase and low HP.

I have a couple machines to choose from, but for "in town" stop light drags, my scooter is the weapon of choice... twist-n-go is easy and quick that first 100 feet. My V-Twin has a manual clutch that uses counter-weights to lock-up tighter as RPM increases, made for racing, its a mechanical advantage I seldom/never mention to opposing riders.

Hildo knows his machine, has turned every nut and bolt himself... sometimes an old guy, on an old bike he built himself, has all the advantage needed. It was a "short" drag as well, certainly less than an eighth... liter bike doesn't have enough distance to make up for the poor launch.

An old guy that enjoys scooters, Can-Ams, and a bike I built myself... occasional impromptu acceleration contests too.