View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #2

Most likely the valves need adjusting as all 4Ts will need to have it done at least once . They get too tight and prevent enough fuel and air to start or keep it running . Many shade tree mechanics have their mind blown as it gets fire , get fuel , has compression but no start . This is one reason why you see used scooters priced so low from a frustrated owner that gave up instead of doing research . My scooter dealer told me many scooters out of the crate come with the valves not set proper from the factory . Way too tight = no start . Semi tight = it may start but stall or die once the engine warms up . Too loose and it can want to stall just before coming to a stop like my Echarm did at 2,200 miles . Go the valves adjusted and 15k+ miles later no problems at all . Any auto part store should sell the valve feeler gauges that have an angled tip in order to fit in there better than a standard flat blade . Only check the gaps on a cold engine to get a proper reading . There is many how to videos on You Tube as well as instructions if you search it . I suggest buying Haynes Chinese Scooter repair manual ( around 20 to 25 dollars unless you get lucky like me and find a used copy for 6 dollars on Amazon.com ) as it is a great source of how to service and repair with exploded diagrams and troubleshooting tips . I always buy a Haynes or Chilton for all of my cars since its well worth it to have the data like wiring schematics ETC .

It is common to get a bad pecock like a torn diaphragm and simple to replace with another one or opt for a manual valve depending on its location if easy to get to if you go manual . Most have a fuel tank under or behind the seat , but those with it in the floor board often have fuel pump issues mostly at top RPMs . If it has the fuel tank in the floorboard most opt to get a vacuum fuel pump made by Mikuni ( great brand ) to replace the stock junky one and some go with an electric pump which requires 3.5 amps or so