View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshankhank View Post
I did all the maintenance and repair work on my in-laws scoots when I lived near them in Florida. I finally got tired of having to go through them every six months because I would get them running and working right, my in-laws would ride them two or three times and park them in the garage until lo and behold! the gas went stale and could I come over and get the scooters working again. After two years of this pattern I just took them home with me and my wife daily rode them and would just haul them up to the in-laws when they wanted to go for a ride. I love and hate carbs for this reason; simple to work on but so sensitive to ethanol laced fuels. Would that I still had the scoots, I would look into a direct injection cylinder head mod.
First let me answer the poll question.....I do all my own work, and feel that if someone can't, or won't, they don't need to own a Chinese scooter.....and might better buy one of the higher priced spreads.

I wanted to share my carb experience with you, big shank. My scoot just turned 3 years old, and I have never taken its carb off to clean it. It just hasn't needed it, starts well, idles well, powers up well, and delivers great mileage. In my area it is in hibenation for 5 months a year.

Here is the thing....I always use non ethanol gas, in fact I drive 13 miles to get it, even though there are probably a dozen gas stations closer...but none with non ethanol. I also add about a half an ounce of MMO at each fillup, (about a gallon).
Seafoam would probably work as well. Before storing for winter, I add some Stabil as insurance. It works for me...3 years, and 5800 miles, and 15 total months of non use, and I haven't had to touch it.......at least not yet.