View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 10:40 PM   #5

Its actually normal to see a bit of smoke on an older/pre-catalytic 2-stroke. Leaning it (carb) out to make the exhaust smoke go away will slowly kill the top end. Thats why I asked you if you had a base setting for the carb.

I always run OEM belts from Yamaha. Only $25 dollars/+ or - $3. There is no accurate way to measure a v-belt, as multiple factors come into play. Trust me, we have experimented enough to know what works and what does major damage when it fails.

Reduction box. There is actually a required "space" when you press the new gear on. I borrow the press at my local machine shop and set it with a feeler gauge. Its a tolerance fit, and if its off (the "space") it grinds the inside of the case, or stresses the big gear-causing bearing failure.

Scooter Swap Shop sells the best exhaust gaskets. We buy them in bulk (I have 10 on hand) because things come loose when youre running 12,000 rpm's at 65mph.

If you do find the piston scraped up on the exhaust side and you decide to replace the top end, find the base settings for the carb before starting it-or the same thing will happen again. I gave away a low miles/mint OEM top end and carb not long ago. Actually, a bunch of Zuma bug-eye stuff. I still have my mint 98 Zuma but its still in pieces. I may also be buying back an old 03 Zuma from my boss if he upgrades to something bigger. If I do, I'll regret giving away all my bug-eye/2-stroke parts.

Good luck!

Login or Register to Remove Ads