View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Got my tire, date code June, 2017, excellent! got it on today. Turns out, the tire that was on there was a 110/90-12. Don't know why, there is a guy on YouTube that says that is the right size for a Helix/clone. All the documentation I can find, including the manual for my clone, says 110/100-12. That's a 10% difference in tire profile. My speedometer read 3-4 mph high, according to those speed signs on the road. With this new tire, the speedometer is dead on. I don't know why some people think the 110/90-12 is the right tire for this bike, they're wrong. Love the tire, cruises over bumps and imperfections smoother due to the wider radius, and for $40, that's basically half price for that tire.
Yeah, but now your odometer is likely off. For bikes, often speedometers are generally
optimistic with the stock tire yet the odometer is pretty close to accurate... That
changes when you put on a taller tire; it makes the speedometer more accurate at
the cost of odometer accuracy. A taller tire in that case will cause the odometer to
read lower than actual since the taller tire will turn fewer revolutions per mile because
of the longer distance around the circumference of the tire.

The exact opposite will happen if the new tire is smaller than the stock tire (not as tall)
except that both the odometer AND the speedometer will not reflect actual measure of
distance and speed. In that case the odometer would report more miles than actually
ridden and the speedometer would read an even higher than actual speed than what a
stock tire already does.

One needs to take that into account when changing to tires of differing diameter than
stock tires... (on the wheel that drives the speedometer and odometer anyway. Some
bikes use the rear wheel to drive the gauges while others use the front wheel)
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Login or Register to Remove Ads