View Single Post
Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

The thing about the Big Ruckus is that it has a carburetor and is 249cc. The PCX is only 152.9cc
FI. I'm thinking there might be a rev limiter on the PCX as well. (even if in the EFI programming)

As the OP noticed, reducing wind resistance was effective. Mostly, this is the thing holding it
back. So, streamlining and upping the gear ratio would get him more speed; and that, probably
with a minimum penalty in fuel economy and even possibly rather an improvement in mpg.

There are probably not taller final gears for this bike, so the next best thing would be a rear
tire with a slightly larger diameter. And if there is any real truth to the claims, Dr Pulley sliders
put in place of the stock rollers might be a little help too.

I think without having to do more complicated (and expensive mods) other than streamlining
and a taller tire, that will be about as far as this bike could get in gaining much of a substantial
improvement in performance... speed wise that is.

I agree as others have said: Want more speed? A bigger bike can do it easier and not cost as much
in $$ and reliability than by trying to make a small bike into something it was never meant to be.

But like I said, streamlining and replacing the rear tire with one that is taller is probably the
easiest, cheapest way to make a small bike the best that it could be. Or at the least, better than it
already is.

For ideas and to see what others are doing to their bikes (scooters & motorcycles), check this
link out. It's pretty extensive, but very interesting. I got one of the first Vetter fairing nose kits
for my Honda Reflex. (which will be using a taller Polini final drive gear set AND! a taller tire)
Initial test ride without streamlined fairing (just the regular stock body panels) I got 77mpg.
Not an impressive improvement over the usual upper 60's/low 70's mpg that I normally got, but
I was heavy on the throttle to see what it could do. Not surprized that wind resistance still held
it back.

http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/470...20Fairing.html

BTW IMO, Being seen is much more important than being heard. And they might not hear you
anyway with windows up... and their stereo blasting away... singing along.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Last edited by bandito2; 07-15-2015 at 07:51 PM.