View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to lykos23 Send a message via Skype™ to lykos23
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie610 View Post
If the 3 weights are in every other channel, then the varo will spin evenly..
Yes, they will wear faster, but not in a weeks time. And I see no evidence that it will hurt your bike.
However, since you have the opportune moment, why not test it?
Lets us know what happens, so we don't have to guess.

Also, are you using a rubber or Kevlar?
Kevlar belts last longer, and react better, without the slippage that rubbers have.
I felt it was common sense to space the sliders apart so the weight distribution was even, and I think you're right.

I just came back from the store, and I think I'm going to go back to having 3 weights temporarily. There's just an incredible speed difference between my rollers and sliders. If my variator breaks, well I planned on getting a racing variator anyway. If my belt breaks then that will be surprising because it's not even a thousand miles old. I have a Gates Powerlink belt, and driving around all day with three weights didn't seem to do any immediate damage to anything.

However, I have a new problem. I'm missing just one of my variator v slides. I don't know how long it has been missing, but I just noticed it. I immediately ordered new ones from Absolutely Scooters since they're located only an hour away (only slightly too far to drive on my scooter, argh!) but I'm not even sure if it's safe to drive without them. I've apparently been driving without it for a while now.

I'm going to lay off of driving for a while without that slide, and if any damage occurs I won't know if it's from using 3 weights or from missing a v slide.