View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #15

I also have a Honda Reflex and can confirm virtually everything maddog said. I don't get quite 71-72 mpg but more like 69. I use it mostly on freeways but if traffic is heavy I get over to the left lane because it will do 75 mph at 8,000 rpm on GPS but sometimes traffic is around 75. I don't like to push it that hard. I normally cruise at about 65-70 mph at between 7,000 to 7,500 rpm. I bought it at 20,000 miles and it now has 26,500 miles.

One of the big reasons I was interested in the Reflex was that it has ABS. I did enough two wheel skids on both the 125 and 500 to realize it not a lot of fun to start moving sideways while both tires loose traction. Even worse the 125 had drum brakes that became really touchy when the brake shoes got wet. The Reflex has front and rear disks with ABS which seems to work. That said, I do miss the little 125 because it was only 200 lbs and around town it was just fun.

I also come from a sport bike background. My last motorcycle was a Kawasaki EX500 but mpg was about 45-48. Then I bought a really cheap Yamaha Riva 125 that ran but poorly. After much work on the fuel system I was amazed that it would get 92 mpg during summer months dropping to 82-85 mpg with winter blend fuel. It would top out at around 57 mph but it felt stable at that speed.

The Reflex which is a 250cc weighs the same as the Kawasaki EX500 at about 400 lbs. It feels about the same on the freeway as the Ninja but the taller than stock Givi windshield it came with means I don't feel the wind as much. That's good in winter but in summer, the windshield doesn't allow much air through my mesh jacket so it feels hotter.

As a note about the Burgman. Jack from Jacks Scooter shop web site has had both. He said he lost money on a 650 when something went wrong with the transmission and it was a nightmare to repair. He has a 400 now.

If I had the money, I think I would consider the new Honda Forza which is similar to the Reflex but has fuel injection, a slightly larger motor at 279cc giving it a bit more speed but just as miserly on gas. I understand it can get two helmets in under the seat where I can get one.

Almost forgot, the Reflex was $1,200 and I am about 160 lbs.