View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 11:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
The correct fix for the stripped out head, is to install appropriate Heli-Coils into the head (something along the lines of https://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546.../dp/B0002SREP4).

This means taking the head off, since you have to drill out and tap the old holes.

Also, JB weld on an engine head (especially around the exhaust port) will be subject to temperatures that will destroy it. At this point, running a tap through the holes is not going to renew them; there is obviously missing metal, which the tap won't fix.

Thank you for your reply, Shadowfire.
I came to realize today that I would probably need to get a heki-coil repair kit because I got a drill bit/tap set (one size up from original threads). I could only do 1 hole because the frame is in the way of the other one. I drilled the one hole I could, and tapped it. I used a 1/4 x 2 bolt. It would tighten down all the way either and fell out in less than a block,

Do you (or anyone else) know what the right heli-coil kit to get for the exhaust holes. And do I have to take the whole engine out to do this repair. Or can the head be removed without dropping the engine.
Any replies would be welcome.