View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to lykos23 Send a message via Skype™ to lykos23
Quote:
techie610 Especially at low speeds, the carb needs to vacuum in the air, so that it will properly atomize with the gas.
This makes sense. Given this information I re-taped the filter with tape starting at the base of the filter and it seems to run fine. First I tried again with no tape and had idling problems, then I tried it with tape starting at the base of the filter and in theory there should be more of a vaccuum effect now because the air source is farther away from the carb intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50cc View Post
it's all about the even air flow. stick to the box. #85 is just about right for a stock box unless you live high in the mountains. i lost an engine because of a free-flow filter. don't risk it, just because it sounds cooler - YOU GET THE SAME POWER, plus a higher consumption.
Jeesh. That's horrible that you lost an engine. Is there anything that can be done with a freeflow to prevent this? I thought most bbk setups require a freeflow filter... Maybe I should upjet to a 90 for the time being...

Sadly I can't order a new airbox 'til some time next month, but I found this airbox on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Scoote...ir+box+scooter

It advertises increased airflow for better performance, which might just be what I need since I have a 63cc and not a 49cc, however, I'm not sure.