View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #30

Let's say

Let's say the piston rings are probably fine— I was very careful about inserting the piston into the cylinder, and did not force it in, and I never removed the rings from the piston, so I consider a piston ring failure to be pretty unlikely. I also had a good look at the spark plug when I removed it briefly before tightening it down into the cylinder head, and it was clean. The fact that I am smelling gas suggests to me that I am getting compression (probably), but just no ignition.

Let's also say that I test my spark plug with a multitester, and I find nothing wrong with it. And let's say I test its spark by removing it from the engine block and grounding it out, but find no spark when I use the kickstarter. I have not done these things yet (I will very soon) but my sense is that this is what will happen when I do.

And lastly, let's keep in mind that none of these things are related to my original problem, so whatever the problem is now, it has to be the result of something I must have done in the course of trying to smooth out the piston (i.e., removing the cylinder, replacing the gaskets, etc.).

If any of that is helpful, let me know. Will let you know what happens with the spark plug test later today. The beat goes on. La di da da di, la di da di da.