View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #12

Well, my hunch is that the motor was replaced. I *think* that the scoot originally came with the “standard” 157QMJ but mine has the B-variant. In reading about the differences, it appears as though the B has an ever so slightly deeper variator/clutch cover which would explain why I can’t remove it when the engine is on the bike. Perhaps next spring I’ll “spring” for a new motor….we’ll see.

At any rate, after removing the engine I re-gapped the valves (.003 intake, .004 exhaust), cleaned and re-gasket the oil pan, changed the spark plug, cleaned off all the accumulated leaked oil and road grime, and cleaned out the CVT case. The belt was still 20mm and looked almost new so I left that in. The rollers will have to be replaced at some point, but I’ll leave that to be a winter project – I’d rather just get ‘er on the road.

Once I got it all back and assembled, the scoot started right up (no more oil leaks). The problem now is that it starts and runs but won’t stay running and it dies the moment I give it gas. I ‘ve cleaned the carb 3x (using high pressure brake cleaner and pushing wire through every hole), checked the diaphragm for holes and triple checked all vacuum lines and replaced all vacuum and fuel lines. It’s definitely getting fuel. I *think* that the problem is the auto enricher. Here’s a summary of my findings:

Auto enricher on and connected – Great start up but loses idle after 10 minutes and then after about every 2 minutes upon each, subsequent start up. Dies with more gas.
Auto enricher on but not connected – Great start up, great idle, dies with more gas.
Auto enricher bypassed (gasket material to cover all three holes) – Won’t start, won’t run.

So my hypothesis is that there’s still a small blockage/vacuum leak in the carb itself. The auto-enricher masks it, but the carb still can’t get enough fuel.

At any rate, I gave up and bought a new carb/auto enricher. It should be arriving any day now.

The saga continues but hopefully I’ll get to ride it before the snow starts blowing here in MN. ;o)