View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #8

Well, the more time that I spend with it, the more I wonder if one of the previous owners (I am the 3rd) didn’t do something to modify the scoot, the engine or both.

I removed the engine because I needed to re-gasket the oil pan cover (it was leaking – took me some time and patience to track down but it was pretty obvious). This necessitated removal of the stator, which would have been necessary anyhow to replace the gasket. Also, I tried removing the CVT cover with the engine mounted (so that I could confirm the belt size), but it was obviously (and I fought with this for about an hour) bumping up against the frame (toward the front) such that there was just not quite enough clearance to remove the cover.

I also wanted the chance to do a thorough cleaning/inspection of the motor and CVT assembly to make sure I wasn’t missing something else.

The bike has, 3,777 miles on it and I believe it to have been poorly maintained by the previous owner and everything I’ve read has indicated that a valve adjustment should be done. So… valves, oil pan gasket, belt, spark plug, inspection (and oh yea, the kick start needs to be replaced) – I figured that all that work could more easily be done on a removed engine.

I’ve kept careful track of everything so I don’t anticipate any issues with reassembly and reinstallation of the motor. If I get into any really nasty trouble, my neighbor’s a gear head (who has been unofficially supervising) who’s resurrected a couple of motorcycles, not to mention cars. So I have some cheap expertise, should I need it. ;-)

So today I’ll be ordering a belt and gasket set.