View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
Coffee oils and acids can harden cell membranes? That's definitely a first I've heard of that because if coffee oils affected cell membrane permeability the first thing it would affect is your digestive system and you'd simply stop absorbing the coffee oils in the first place. Cell membranes are pretty much self self regulating, to have chemicals be able to significantly affect animals on the cellular membrane level would mean body chemistries so alien that you'd be facing other more serious issues like neurochemical or ionic imbalance. As for building up insulin resistance I don't think it's the coffee that's doing it.

I'm highly dubious about this doctor's research especially the fact that he's going on Fox News to discuss it.

And as far as people claiming coffee oil raises cholesterol. The studies are all over the map on that one. But one thing is for certain, the French use French press and are generally lower in overall cholesterol levels, while Americans filter their coffee and are higher in overall cholesterol levels. Some people may see a link. But the only link I see is just Americans eat unhealthy foods which is causing the high cholesterol and coffee at worst can be eliminated from negative health impacts and at best contribute to overall health.

The fact is if you have high cholesterol trying to blame it solely on coffee is irresponsible and short sighted.
Dr. Rosenfeld (mispelled the name as Rosenthall originally) represented the US in China when the President tasked a study on medicine and surgical practices around the world be done. He is probably one of the most respected and well recognized physicians (Cardiologist) in the world. How soon we forget.

He discussed his research years ago in full disclosure to the medical community. FOX invited him to comment on coffee's recent bad press. Look up his PBS interview on the topic from some years ago where he recounts his worldwide research trip for the US Government.

He said if you do not have diabeties or a heart/circulatory problems then drink all the filtered coffee you like however once you do have a problem then you need to restrict your intake. Provided some research that linked certain hybred citrus (grapefruit?) as amplifying the problem.

BTW: Raised Cortisol hormone levels with related cell hardening and cholesterol buildup are two different things. I do not have the information fresh in mind as this was at least 10 years ago and I did not get the printed or digital documentation/transcripts.

Last edited by rockynv; 01-26-2013 at 09:08 AM.