View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas_Deane View Post
Hello all,

I am a new scooter owner with some mechanical experience. I found out today when i was driving around that my gas gauge doesn't work! (ran out) I have a chinese 150cc gy6 and found the instrument cluster on ebay for relatively cheap. Will this fix my gauge problem? if not how does the scooter register how much gas is in the tank. Thanks for the help, I absolutely LOVE riding around on a scooter.
The gauge gets a signal from a float in the tank..called the sending unit. Here is a pic of one. The fuel gauges are rarely ever correct...however usually NEVER off so much that you will run out of fuel. I always adjust mine by letting the tank get 1/2 full..then bending the rod on the sending unit until the gauge reads 1/2 full.. From there it should be very close to accurate. Doubtful that buying a new gauge cluster was your issue..sad to say. A common thing happens to the sending units...that being the float itself saturates with gas then splits apart and falls off..leaving you with no float. When this occurs the wire will drop down and the tank will always read empty. if the gauge moves but is off..showing you have fuel when the tank is empty..the wire(shaft) on the sending unit must be bent up slightly..then checked until the gauge is reading close to normal. As I said.. I 'calibrate' mine using 1/2 tank of gas...and so far they have come out very close in accuracy..
Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sending unit.jpg (78.6 KB, 3 views)