ScootDawg Forums

ScootDawg Forums (http://www.scootdawg.net/index.php)
-   3-Wheeled Scooters (http://www.scootdawg.net/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   IceBear 50cc trike help (http://www.scootdawg.net/showthread.php?t=55772)

wildun 05-23-2017 07:34 AM

IceBear 50cc trike help

Hi,
Bought a new IceBear 50cc trike from Mega Motor Madness back in February. It's sat most that time due to not running, got 6 miles on it. I actually own a scooter shop, but this bike has me baffled. Originally the fuel pump was leaking which was replaced via warranty. Next the carb bowl drain screw came out, an oversite on my part during pdi. Having replaced that it started up and ran about 15 minutes and I did a quick ride. Shut it off, 15 minutes later it would start, run a few seconds, then die. It did that for several starting attempts then stopped starting at all. Checked spark, good, replaced plug, drained tank put in fresh gas. Checked to make sure fuel pump was working. Replaced carburetor with new one off the shelf, still won't run. Hoping someone knows something I may be missing that's maybe specific to IceBear.

Update.. Spoke with the dealer and will try the suggestions! We'll see where it goes. :cheers:

wildun 05-31-2017 01:52 PM

OK.. Traced this down to the kill side of the switches.

The new coil made no difference as suggested by MMM.

Now trying to determine if it's the ignition switch or the kill button. Bike runs again with the plastic off, if I put the kill wire together at the cdi, dies. Just fyi.

Irish 05-31-2017 04:41 PM

I heard many good things about ICE BEAR Many mos ago , I bought a (New,in the crate) 250 from Safer Wholesale. com. I ran 2 different Motorcycle repair shops in NH & have also been to a motorcycle school. The bike was the biggest piece of crap that I ever owned! It might have stemmed from the complete lack of response from S.W. .com. I'll never buy from them again. They just want your money! I finally turned the bike in on a USED 2006 Sportster 1200 With a DMC Trike kit. The $ that it would take to make it dependable made it unfeasible I'm 73 , not 30 & I want to ride not work. Don't take this against ICE Bear. I think that MOST of the problem was with S.W. .com. They HAD to know just how crappy the Bike was & your work is your selling pt.:hmm::shrug: Irish:scoot::nuts:

wildun 05-31-2017 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply Irish. I lay blame at nobody since I know how the china bikes are, just sux I couldn't get more than a few miles before the new bike quit.

It's my transportation because it is... Now I'll see how the dealer responds to the needed warranty parts. The new replacement warranty fuel tank sending unit has quit. Either the kill switch or the ignition switch, or the wiring harness needs replaced, I'll dig deeper tommorrow.

I expected problems, just not quite so many so soon. As many know, it's a Chinese scooter and probs are to be expected, but I'm dependent on it running. I quit driving my car 20 years ago (1964 Ford Galaxie 500) but I still have it. Yep I'm old too.. lol.

wildun 05-31-2017 09:10 PM

Will talk with the MMM mechanic tomorrow about the technical stuff.. I have nailed it down to a single problem, or 3. All has to do with the kill switch.

Irish 06-04-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildun (Post 535523)
Hi,
Bought a new IceBear 50cc trike from Mega Motor Madness back in February. It's sat most that time due to not running, got 6 miles on it. I actually own a scooter shop, but this bike has me baffled. Originally the fuel pump was leaking which was replaced via warranty. Next the carb bowl drain screw came out, an oversite on my part during pdi. Having replaced that it started up and ran about 15 minutes and I did a quick ride. Shut it off, 15 minutes later it would start, run a few seconds, then die. It did that for several starting attempts then stopped starting at all. Checked spark, good, replaced plug, drained tank put in fresh gas. Checked to make sure fuel pump was working. Replaced carburetor with new one off the shelf, still won't run. Hoping someone knows something I may be missing that's maybe specific to IceBear.

Update.. Spoke with the dealer and will try the suggestions! We'll see where it goes. :cheers:

you'

I don't know if this will help but my Ice Bear Had the idle WAY too low! Possibly you're not getting enough fuel. I'm just grasping at straws!:shrug::hmm: Irish:scoot::nuts:

wildun 06-06-2017 07:07 AM

Actually was the ignition switch... I clipped the kill switch wire at the cdi and it fired right up. Wired that back together and unplugged the kill button, no start. That only left the ignition switch kill wire. MMM were very cool about it and are shipping me a new ignition switch under warranty. In the mean time I wired in a toggle switch to shut it off with and I'm back on the road.

Irish 06-06-2017 11:52 AM

Just F.Y.I. When I fixed MOST things , the whole wiring harness burned up. That ruined the battery also.:s:tdown: Irish:scoot::nuts:

wildun 06-07-2017 08:49 PM

I'm very happy with the dealer at this point. It's a scooter and I expect probs, but Mega Motor Madness has been good about it. I still love riding it, lots of people like it, it's a attention getter. Time will tell on the rest.

crawford 07-06-2017 03:17 PM

I have 3 Ice Bear Trikes all Zodiac's 300cc only small problems with them were exchust gaskets, intakes cracks 1 is a 13 others are 15's 1 15 has 7,000 mile the 13 has 5,000 the last 15 has 2,000 so most of time we ride the hell out of them. My wife's is a Burgundy she has the most mile of bunch can't seem to keep her off it LOL. That was the first one which came home for me she took it for a ride and said when you getting you's and that's when it started.

wildun 03-11-2018 08:09 AM

To revisit this and update. The Icebear has been good since the initial problems were fixed. Warranty expired and I went to work. Gave it a 72cc kit, a9 cam, custom made performance exhaust and carb with a 2000 rpm racing clutch. Also added a nitros system for fun. No longer under powered and enjoy riding it. I'm happy with it!

Trikingit87 12-27-2020 07:57 PM

Ice bear 155çc

Need some help have a 150cc ice bear trike just put the 155 big bore with a9 cam will idle but once you give it throttle it dies so that tells me that I need to mess with the carburetors Jets now I don't know what I should run wondering if somebody else has had this issue and knows what would work

cme 04-11-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trikingit87 (Post 538801)
Need some help have a 150cc ice bear trike just put the 155 big bore with a9 cam will idle but once you give it throttle it dies so that tells me that I need to mess with the carburetors Jets now I don't know what I should run wondering if somebody else has had this issue and knows what would work

85 main jet and 30-33 idle jet

whiteGIANT510 04-30-2022 09:52 AM

I can't believe anyone would buy an ice bear or Tao for the purpose of actual use as transportation. They are fun to play with but never depend on them. Not a good way to keep a job